Sunday, June 21, 2009

Work That Matters Isn't Work

In the course of my so-called work, I often come across people who are unhappy with and usually ill suited to their current work. They would love to be doing something else, and in most cases they know what the "something else" is, but they are trepidatious about taking the leap. Fear--or mortgages, their kids' tuition and the like--has kept them stuck in place.

I know with every bone in my body that it always works out to go for it. All it takes is a passion, a trust if Life (in Love's way) that It knows what It's doing, and a leap: a great big (gulp or no gulp) YES! But it doesn't matter for others that
I know this, of course; they have to know it for themselves.

To those of you out there who are teetering on this fence especially, and to everyone else as well, I offer these words by Matthew Scott of
StrategicIncubator.com. His is a remarkable story, one of the most inspiring I've ever come across on this subject, and one which also happens to illustrate vividly how powerful we are-- right down to the capacity to manifest a place and cause of death of our own choosing. Grateful thanks to Matthew, to the Quality of Life Project where I found this compelling share, and to Anne for pointing me there: abundant blessings all around.

Four years ago on Christmas Eve, my father & I left my San Diego home to get my mother a last-minute gift.

Within minutes, my father spoke about things that a son is not always prepared to hear. He told me what he wanted if he were to suddenly pass away.

I asked him if he had any regrets about his personal or professional life? He placed his calloused hands, from years of working on an Arkansas farm, upon my knee and said to me, “I have none. And when you find the work that matters, Matthew, you will never work another day for the rest of your life.”

One last question, “Dad, if you had to pick a way to go, how would you want to go? My dad answered instantly, “That would be easy. I would be playing tennis with my hooligan buddies and hit the game winning backhand and then have a painless heart attack.”

Exactly nine days later my father passed away after experi- encing a massive heart attack while playing tennis with his buddies.

The next day, I resigned my position as a Vice President of a Biotechnology company in San Diego.

I have not “worked” in over four years since I found the work that matters to me.

Thanks, Dad.

Matthew ScottWest Linn, Oregon

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, kind fo cool blog!!!!

you are writer????

10:21 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Deputat said...

Thanks for reading kafe - (a writer, yes). Welcome to Love's Freeway.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine,

Thanks so much for this post! It is so inspirational and encouraging as I get closer to taking a leap of faith in my "work life"(I printed it out to remind me of what is true).

Melissa

8:14 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Deputat said...

Great, Melissa - I'm so pleased to hear it.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home