Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine



Today I am sending out much love, infinite gratitude and deep appreciation to W. S. Merwin,
definitive poet and certainly no stranger to Love. I offer these luminous lines of his as a
Valentine to you all,
in celebration of Love.



Today it was just a dry leaf that told me
I should live for love.
It wasn't the six birds sitting like little angels
in the white birch tree,

or the knife I use to carve my pear with.
It was a leaf, that had read Tolstoy, and Krishnamurti,
that had loved William James,
and put sweet Jesus under him where he could be safe forever.
"The world is so bright." he said. "You should see the light."
"The branch is necessary, but it is in the way."
"I am not afraid. I am never afraid."
Then he stretched his imaginary body
this way and that.
He weighs a half a gram, is brown and green,
with two large mold spots on one side, and a stem
that curls away, as if with a little pride,
and he could be easily swept up and forgotten,
but oh he taught me love for two good hours,
and helped me with starvation, and dread, and dancing.
As far as I'm concerned his grave is here
beside me,
next to the telephone and the cupful of yellow pencils,
under the window, in the rich and lovely presence
of Franz Joseph Haydn and Domenico Scarlatti and Gustav Mahler
forever.

~W. S. Merwin

2 Comments:

Blogger TM said...

I LOVE this poem, and it is still tacked to my bulletin board where I can see it as I write....

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Deputat said...

Bright Light to write by indeed. xx

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home