Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gifts of the Lilies

They were gone by morning. Well before morning, actually. And I knew they would be, that day lilies only last a day. That's precisely why I picked these stems from my neighbor's garden which I've been charged with watering in his absence this dry dry month of July. I cut them because each was the last flower on its respective stem. I cut them because I knew they would live and die that day without notice, and I wanted to enjoy and appreciate them. Such beauty! Such vibrancy! I wanted to preserve it, and I'm glad I did.

I meant to take an "after" photo the next day, but I forgot. It wouldn't have been much to look at anyway: all green and a bit of pale pink and lavender from the remaining phlox and spearmint flowers. The lilies were shriveled to nothing, as expected. The bright light of the bouquet had gone out: over and done--but not forgotten.

And once again I am reminded that all is passing, to cherish it while I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home