Sunday, June 06, 2010

There's a Power in that Flower

I called the file "Cornflower" when I downloaded the pictures from my camera. That's how cursory was my knowledge of the chicory plant when I photographed it. I've been seeing its indeed cornflower blue all over town--most notably in my neighbor's field. I had tried macro photos of this wildflower in the past, but the light was not quite right and the results were unimpressive. Yesterday, for some reason, it was time to try again. Drawn to its color, I had picked a stem of this "cornflower" to add to a vase inside. But first I would lay it on my porch window sill, in a pool of afternoon sun, and try a few shots.

As happens from time to time--and I've written about it more than once: what I saw on the "big screen" later took my breath away. My friend Tracey calls them "gasps," those photos that catch the breath like this, as in "Any gasps in those pics I sent to you?" There were several "gasps" in the so-called Cornflower photos. As if the sugary stamens and the candy-striped pistils weren't enough to steal the show, these close ups revealed what I am now calling energy vortexes at their center. I've seen this before in the morning glory: a definite, distinct condensation of energy at the core. Or maybe I feel it more than see it, I don't know. Take a look for yourself; be your own judge. (Technological note: you can easily enlarge the images and text on this page by holding down Ctrl and hitting the + key multiple times, fyi.) But know that what you see at the core of these three flowers pictured is not a function of focus or the lack thereof. Something else is going on.

The flowers of the morning glory and chicory have something besides their (blue-purple) color in common: each lasts but a day - or less than a day. I'm inclined to think that has something (or rather, a lot) to do with the intensity of their vortex. Imagine a whole lifetime compressed into a single day! This is a very powerful energy indeed, but a power for what, of what?

I'll keep listening and let you know. In the meantime, I'll happily let it speak for itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home